Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Random Moment of Defeat

As I was leaving work and about to step onto the elevator last night, I went to rub my tired eyes. In rubbing my eyes I somehow managed to knock my glasses off my head. I made a grab to catch them but only bobbled them in my hands, causing both lenses to pop out in different directions. With a second swipe I managed to catch one of the lenses but the frames and the other lens fell straight into the crack between the elevator and the floor, down into the elevator shaft and down 27 floors to the ground. This happened as an Asian man waiting in the elevator looked on in bemused disbelief. He politely said "good luck" before the doors closed and he continued on his way.

Using my one lens as a monocle, I was able to find a maintenance worker who volunteered to go into the chamber at the bottom of the elevator shaft and look for the frames and other lens. He told me as he was entering the chamber that I couldn't tell anyone what he was doing because, technically, the elevators are supposed to be shut off before anyone enters the chamber because, otherwise, you might get squished by a descending elevator. I started to say, "Well it's not worth..." but he was already gone, bobbing and weaving around the descending elevators, scanning the ground with his flashlight and then peering up at the elevators to make sure none were about to squish him.

Amazingly, he found my frames still in tact but could not find my lens. He said it could have landed on a ledge on any of the 26 floors below and would likely never be recovered. Fortunately, I had my prescription sunglasses in my car which enabled me to drive home. I don't normally recommend driving in the dark wearing sunglasses but if you have to drive in the dark wearing sunglasses, LA is a good place to do it because there is a lot of ambient light and most people never take off their sunglasses anyway.

The point of this post is that you should always make sure that your glasses and other belongings are properly secured before you step onto an elevator. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to learn this lesson the hard way.

3 comments:

Marc said...

Oh Pedro! I'm so ssorry that this happened to you. As one who has dawdled under elevators, I can say that the maintenance man did more for you than I would have. Working around elevators scares the shit out of me. Though, you are a dear friend. I would have either shut down the building, or shut you down. Depending on my level of clout.

Will you be getting new glasses. I ask because I just ordered some. I have small glasses, wire rims, similar to the ones I last saw you wearing. Lately, I have been noticing that I often leave the house looking like a complete wierdo with odd clothes/shoes combinations. I now know how Dr. E left the house with those ridiculous hats that he wore sometimes in college. You know, the days it was obvious that his wife didn't dress him, which seemed to be most of the time. In any case, I decided to go for big functional glasses. Protecting my eyes from sawdust and other debris and widening my field of vision. I thought those black plasti framed simple glasses like the verizon guy wears would be good. I shopped the internet, only to discover that these are now referred to as "emo glasses" as in those wierd whiney singers with eye liner. I ordered them anyway. Get some we can be twin emo wierdoes.

M

Pedro said...

Amazingly enough, the maintenance guy went back to search for my other lens and found it at the bottom of the elevator shaft. I was able to put both lenses back into the frames and they are almost as good as before the fall. The frames just have a few scratches.

So no emo glasses for me, unfortunately. But I hope they work out for you. BTW, how did the word "emo" come about? It seems like one day people just started calling hipsters with eyeliner "emo." Is it a band reference? Is it short for something? BTW, do you know what the hardest part about being emo is? Telling your parents that you're gay. That's an old joke about roller blading but it works well for emo dudes.

Marc said...

I first heard the term emo used in college. I always assumed it had to do with being emotional. Every guy, or girl for that matter, that liked that kind of music certainly was emotional.

I came up with that explanation in my head about three seconds after the guy used the term. So, I think I'm to blame for it becomeing popular. Me and ten million other people who heard it and said, "oh yeah, emo," in a knowing way. Instead we all should have said, "Emo, what the fuck does that mean? Is that some sort of uphemisim for lame eyeliner wearing dude, that loves whiney music, and pills?" I think that might have been the tack I should have taken. But then tight women's jeans wouldn't have come back as fast if they weren't trying to keep up with their emo boyfriends. So, any fad that encourages tight ladies jeans can't be all bad.

I do have a daughter now though, and I can see that opinion changing.

I stil haven't gotte my glasses. I guess emo glasses are shiped by emo kids that are sometimes too sad to go to work!

I shouldn't write so much so early, I seem surly. I really don't have a problem with emo kids. I mean heavy metal guys wore eye liner and blush, these guys are just wearing eye liner.
Marc