Sunday, March 01, 2009

New Blog Post

So I've completely neglected ATGR in 2009. It's been that dreaded combination of work, laziness and lack of inspiration. Although I really haven't had much to write about. The one noteworthy item is that we almost bought a new house in January. We put an offer on a place in our neighborhood that we had always liked and which had come on the market cheap through a short sale. Unfortunately, when we had the inspection done during escrow, we found out that the house is full of termites, has a septic tank, needs a new roof, and has major structural problems. Even worse, we found out that the house was built on an Indian burial ground. Not a Native American burial ground. An Indian burial ground, as in, a burial ground of people from India. It's actually much worse than a Native American burial ground. For example, we encountered this one ghost named Darjaymender who warned us that the real estate market is still two years away from hitting rock bottom. It was terrifying. We also met a ghoulish Punjabi programmer named Ramjeet who said to Priya, and I quote, "आप मेडिकल स्कूल के लिए चले गए हैं चाहिए." From what Priya tells me, that roughly translates to, "You should have gone to medical school like my daughter, Ramjeeta." So we couldn't buy that place. Not with all that drama. Thanks, but no thanks.

Well, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your feelings about me and my off-color Indian jokes, I have nothing else to write. I guess I'll go to bed and sleep off what was another unremarkable day. Peace and love to all. As the late Louie Goldstein would say, God bless ya'll real good.

6 comments:

Marc said...

You are a piece of work, my friend. I was listening to show on NPR yesterday discussing the dialogue on race in our country. They should have had you on the panel. I'm not sure why though.

The Central Scrutinizer said...

You're only allowed to make these jokes because you're married to an Indian-American (not an American-Indian, of course), and even still I think you're pushing it. If I were to make these jokes, rather when I make jokes like these, I'm a racist. I definitely need to marry a minority.

Pedro said...

Wow, I hope the post didn't seem "racist." I was really just trying to humor Priya who thinks my cultural ignorance is cute. Anyway, you need to marry a saint, not a minority.

The Central Scrutinizer said...

Oh calm down

Marc said...

It's affirming when the Hartbreaker gets a similar sense from your blog entries. I'm not saying your a raging racist. I introduced a friend to your blog though with an introduction that went something like, "This is my buddy Peter's blog. He thinks that as long as you marry a minority, you can say whatever you want about the group they represent." My friend thought that seemed fair.

Pedro said...

I really have a deep fondness for Indian culture and the Indian people I know, so it's only with affection that I jest. And I do think that I'm part of the club now so it's okay. I'm kind of like Seinfeld's dentist who converts to Judaism and starts making Jewish jokes, I guess.

I actually had the idea of the haunted Indian burial ground a long time ago. Priya and I were a little inebriated and were watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force. It just came to me as a great potential story line for that show. It was much funnier then than I was able to convey in my post. But then maybe that was just because we were inebriated.